Monday, October 28, 2019

A failed approach

Trying to derive a "natural" b coefficient for a logarithmic spiral, assuming that it is a negative closed dimension.

Given that I am attempting to define a negative dimension x- as being -1/x+, I tried solving for b where r=1/n (where n is the number of turns); this translates in polar coordinates to r=1/theta.  Which...

Didn't work.  That's just a hyperbolic spiral.  Which I don't think will work.

(As obvious as this should have been, I went through the process of canceling out terms to arrive back at the same equation.)

Back to the drawing board.

I am pretty sure a spiral in the complex plane is the right way to represent a closed dimension in which the distance back to where you started, in either direction, is infinity.  But without an origin this is challenging my relatively limited mathematical knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment